Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Body Ritual of the Nacerima



The Nacerima is are the North American group living in the territory between the Canadian Cree, the Yaqui and theTarahumare of Mexico and the Crib and Arawak of the Antilles. Little known of their origin but are much known of their Body Ritual. American Anthropologist Horace Miner wrote a paper and was published in 1955.

Human Body- mainly as part of their ritual is the human body. Nacerima believe that human body is ugly and the fall down of human being because of illness and debility. Thus, they believe that having ceremonial and ritual activities is the only hope to avert the human body’s downfall physical characteristics.

Rituals- as all tribes and native people ritual are very holy and must keep secret. The sanctity of ritual also means the absolute effect of the superstitious power that is within. Nacerima has its own unique performance of rituals. For them the ritual possesses a powerful effect as being followed carefully. Some of the rituals are the focal point of the shrine is a box or chest which must built into the wall. Chest or the box where used to kept their potions and charms. These potions and charms were believed has a magical healing against illness and maladies. Each household has a shrine room where these box and chest built into the wall. Another body ritual performed was the mouth-rite. Nacerima believed that mouth as the opening part of the body was also the entrance of the illness into the body. Though the ritual was not humane, many of them believe that enduring the pain of ritual possess a powerful effect of the ritual.

Latipso- was ceremony conducted by the medicine men of the Nacerima community. The ceremony was performed in the temple.  Miner described the sadistic and inhumane way of ceremony.  Through the indoctrination of small children which they believed that prolonged the life of the children to the “protracted ritual purification” of sick adults. Part of the ceremony was being naked inside the temple which was for women cause of ridicule and manipulation where also believe that cleaning the excreta would help sick people to heal.

Listener- was another healing practitioner in the community. The author cited that, “Nacirema believe that parents bewitch their own children.” Thus, they also believed in the power of exorcism. The ceremony performed believed to be inhumane too as few individuals rejected their own family.
Ritual Life- many of the native people strongly believe in rituals either it could be humane or not. Before people were civilized many performed inhumane rituals. For them enduring the pain is also a symbol of the possess power against evil, illness, curse and maladies. Today, many people are still doing the rituals as part of their beliefs and culture. They performed these rituals to be part of the group they belong. However, many practice humane rituals. Rituals are sacred and to preserve the secrecy of ritual it has to be keep secret within the group.  As this ritual they are known to different and unique.

Nacerima's behavior is unique, believer of their culture,supertistious, ritualistic and inhumane.

1. The 4 adjectives I would still give it a credit to their behavior but the last adjective "inhumane" that I would change it.  Since I am not raised to their culture, I interpret it differently. For me the process of doing their ritual acivities are inhumane while to the Nacerima they see and interpret it as part of their culture, part of the group where they belong and they interpret it as normal way of expressing their beliefs and value it as part og the ethnic group. I do not think that Nacerima see, feel and interpret the inhumane way of their rituals. They see, feel, practice it with pride of their self belonging or identity.

2. Yes. I believe everyone of us exhibit ethnocentrism. I am bias because I am not one of them and my beliefs, practice, judgment and ethnicity is different from them. What I believe is wrong maybe right to them. The thing is I am in the right context to say something of what they are. Like I know one of the ethnic group in my country who eat dogs. That is one of their cultural practices and to them it is part of their identity. While here, we do not eat dogs instead we show love and care for our pets. You can not tell them to stop doing their ritual or practices because you can cause an aggravation and they might see it that you are not respectful.

Using the word "inhumane" is bias to me. Because I believe that hurting someone is an act of inhumane. While the words "unique, believer of their culture, supertistious,  and ritualistic" I consider it as unbiased. I believe each one of us is unique individual, believer in our culture, superstitious and ritualistic. As I mentioned being ritualistic doesn't mean you do the odd things or inhumane way.
Unique - because each one of us is created that way. Even twins are not the same.
Believer of their culture - people has its own ethnicity and we practice and believe in our culture. Superstitious - wary of things or believing of supernatural things. Most of the folk beliefs are superstitious. Ritualistic - is a behavior that someone is believing and practices something into symbolic value.

3. Instead of "inhumane" I should used "artistic". The way they do it, it is somewhat odd and you can see odd things through art. It is like abstract, their is always an interpretation of the figures which you or other people might interpret it differently. It is always considered a "taboo".

4. It is difficult to be not an ethnocentric. Since each one of us has different experiences, different practices, different beliefs, different culture. We tend to limit our reactions, our judgments into our own experiences, practices and beliefs. People have tendency to accept believable conclusions and the reject the unbelievable even if this is valid. This is what we called belief bias. It is important to describe another culture in a manner as free from personal cultural bias as possible because it is one way to understand ourselves. If we limit our reactions, observations, judgment thus we also limit ourselves of understanding people around us and ourselves as well. If we failed to do so, our culture fall short. Sometimes we give a mistaken impression that some cultures are better than others rather than unique. I believe that we can avoid personal bias and it is possible to avoid it through better understanding of different cultures, accepting that they are part of the world we are in and respecting each ideology, practices and beliefs.






12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post, but I'm not convinced you are aware of the secret of the Nacerima because of comments that you make like this:

    "I am bias because I am not one of them and my beliefs, practice, judgment and ethnicity is different from them."

    The word "Nacerima" is the word "American" written backward. Horace Miner was writing about the American (in general) health and beauty practices. Does knowing this change your feelings toward your word choice at all?

    In general, I agree with your comments, but I was looking for your impressions on Miner's "outsider" view of our own culture. If you are from a culture other than an American culture described in the article, you needed to identify that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit Professor Rodriguez, I fall short in my preferred word and in my readings too. I agree with you too, that I am bias because I gave my reactions and judgment based in my own standard and beliefs... after reading the article I realized then that I am ethnocentric and that I should have to change or understand the different cultures more...that I must not forget that I came from a country with thousands of different ethnic groups with different culture, beliefs and practices...(sigh...)

      Delete
  3. Hi Sally,I enjoyed reading your post. There was one comment I particularly like, the fact that you noticed that you were being biased by using the word inhumane. I would probably use the same word if I was describing the acts that were done by the Nacirema during their rituals. It is definitely not some acts our american culture is accustomed too. But, by using the word artistic instead, you are not making any judgments on the acts the Nacirema are doing with the medicine doctor.
    I agree that we can all be a little less biased here in american starting at the airport. Because of 911, we are all judged when we travel. For example, I flew with my son and he had not finished his bottle and to prove it was milk I had to drink it. I don't think I look suspicious but my actions of having liquid in a bottle and what has happened in the past had made people more judging and aware of our surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny for reading my post.Wow!!! airports are very strict I guess anywhere...when I was about to leave my country and I had to take international flight going to LAX, they put us to quarantine...once you get inside the airport you can't get out the building (for safety reasons) I can remember we went a thorough inspections, 6 times they inspect our carry on luggage... for a small bag that I had... and I agree with you that "what had happened in the past had made people more judging and aware of our surroundings.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you Sally that although it may be hard to not have ethnocentric judgments, once we are able to understand that there are many different cultures in the world we will find ourselves not having such biased judgments. Also, I like how you used artistic. It is true a lot of the rituals done by the Nacerima were somewhat artistic and unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BritSimone. I had difficulty in looking for the appropriate word to describe the Nacerima hence I chose to change the word "inhumane" to artistic. I must not forget also that to them doing their rituals is also for a good cause while looking in my own perspective, it is inhumane but I fall short in my word in describing Nacerima..I gave my judgment in terms of my own standards which I realized I am bias.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sally, I really enjoyed reading your post. I thought it was interesting that you found the acts of the Nacerima people to inhumane. Although I agree that there were certain acts and beliefs within the Nacerima culture that were foreign to you and I, however I think using the word inhumane is a liitle "biased" as another one of our classmates had said. Otherwise I thik you did a great job at conveying your messege to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Naeri. I agree with you too, that is the word I change it to "artistic". I admit it, I gave my limited reactions in regarding with some cultural practices. I must not forget that my country has thousands of different ethnic groups each group has different practices, cultures, rituals and beliefs. Anyhow, thank you for the nice words, so inspiring...

      Delete
  6. I agree with you Sally in that another word should be alternated for the word inhumane when describing the Nacirema. The term inhumane presents a negative connotation, and as you said, because we are not from their culture we see their acts differently. Although the rituals performed and the length to which the Nacirema would go to achieve great health and a positive overall appearance may be drastic in our opinion, it is therefore just that, our opinion and not one that is based on true understanding. It is an assumption that is coming from within our own perspective and context. However when you are no longer the outsider and are privy to the true understanding of why an individual does what they do, we tend to see things differently. The other words you chose to use seemed to be fair and unbiased. I have to admit that for me, choosing words that were impartial took quite some time to complete. I didn’t realize that many of the words we use in our everyday language are not without opinion or judgment. It took me consciously making an effort to refrain from using biased descriptive words to really examine just what words would not work within this context. I ended up having to switch out four of my five descriptive words in place of more neutral and balanced words. In doing that I was able to recognize how ethnocentrism within me affects the words that I use and the way that I use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the words Sarah. And I agree with you too. I also had difficulty in looking for the appropriate adjectives. I admit that I fall short in my word describing the Nacerima... I think I am bias because I describe them in such way with my limited reaction and understanding about their practices. And you are right too, saying that, to them it is not inhumane act, as doing it for good reason and that is to achieve good health. I'm learning from your own perspective too.

      Delete
  7. Good job responding to everyone. The exchange will be helpful to all.

    ReplyDelete